I have always looked upon companies that innovate, Google for instance has been on my focus for several years already. And So, it has been brought to my attention another great company. It is the second largest ISP in France, called Free. Free has always been on the edge of innovation by adding the latest features on their box called "Freebox", features that other players had on the market six months later or not at all. All at keeping the same price, which has always been 29,99 euros (roughly 35 dollars or less). Those features added up to the following list:
- 20 MB/s ADSL line
- over 100 free TV channels
- Free calls to anywhere in France
- Wi-FI box
- Freeplayer (Access and view all videos, music, and photos of your computer on your TV)
- 1 GB full featured web hosting
- Video on demand, movies at 1.99 euros per title
- Access of all your missed calls, call durations, etc..., from your TV
The good news is that they have just announced as of January 1st 2006, FREE calls to about 14 countries among them, the United States, Canada, Germany, Australia, China, Singapore, Israel, and Spain. It is just mind blowing how far they are pushing it.
Free is also the unique holder of a national license of WiMax.
Whatever it is taking Free to launch such competitive moves leave little but to wonder when is Google innovating in a bit of hardcore, and for which is concerning those free minutes, we'd love to see them anytime soon on GTalk.
It sure will make a lot of noise then.